Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I'm a the Moth Man

Today is a sad day on the Burning Zeppelin. Jon has departed (on a conventional airplane, of all things!), leaving the Abigail and I alone. I could go on and on about how much it sucks that the modern world is so big, how we make great friends in college - some of you are some of those great friends - and then scatter to the four corners of the earth, but this is a writing blog, not a whining blog. Onwards!

In honor of Jon's departure, please allow me to direct you towards something he recommended to me. The Moth is a not-for-profit organization that promotes storytelling. Performances take place at the Moth's stages in New York City and Los Angeles. For those of us who live in neither city, you can also download the Moth Podcast (also available in my blogroll, to the right), from which you will receive one free story per week, the cream of the crop, as it were.

Now, as far as I can tell, the stories in the Moth are all true. I know, I know, this is a fantasist's blog, but before we are fantasists, we are storytellers, and the fundamentals of storytelling are universal. Even if the stories we tell are lifelike - even if they are actually true - we are still telling stories, and we have a lot to learn from each other.

Also, this is one fun podcast.

No comments: