Friday, May 23, 2008

Hereby I declare the beginning of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

What is a burning zeppelin experience?

When you confess your love to the object of your affection, that's a nice experience. And that's ok. It's sweet. It's nice. The music swells, you kiss her... and that's it. A nice experience.

When you confess your love to the object of your affection on the deck of a flaming airship, beneath an alien purple sky over a boiling acidic sea, while the enemy guns spit emerald death, that's something more. That's not sweet and it's not nice. It's powerful. It reaches down into your guts, where your soul lives, and pulls it up and out and into your skin, so your hair stands on end and your eyes catch fire... that's it. That's what I talking about. A burning zeppelin experience.

The burning zeppelin experience is what you get when you juxtapose emotionally and narratively important scenes with a backdrop of excitement and adventure. As a reader and writer of science fiction, fantasy, and magical realism, I believe in the power and importance of the burning zeppelin experience. In this blog, my first foray into online publishing, I hope to explore the burning zeppelin experience through fiction, poetry, and essays. I will link to the burning zeppelin experiences of others and, with your help, produce my own.

No comments: