Monday, April 27, 2009

A Naughty Zeppelin Experience

You know what, I don't even want to know what that title evokes in your sordid little brains. Don't ever tell me.

Today's post directs your attention to a pair of articles in the amazing science fiction webzine io9 (also, why wasn't I told about this a long time ago? I hold you personally responsible for this egregious oversight!), both of them related to the Naughty Zeppelin's longstanding interest in the sexy side of the fantastic.

The first article, 10 Authors who Put Sex in their Science Fiction does what it says in the title. I only have personal experience with only two of the ten authors (Robert Heinlein and Ursula K. LeGuin), one of the several books (LeGuin's The Left Hand of Darkness), and one of the short storie's (Heinlein's All You Zombies). However, I think I might have a new reading list. Some of these books and stories sound great. I'm particularly fascinated by how many science fiction authors chose to tackle some really complicated issues, like sexual preference, gender relations, and so on. That, of course, and what happens when aliens and humans deal with sex and love together, because you know that if we encounter humanoid life, the first thing we're going to do (as a species) is try to have sex with it. That or kill it and take its stuff.

The second article is an amusing story of the great Heinlein's lost tale of love and lust among the stars, how it got to be lost, and why Heinlein wanted it to stay lost. I haven't got as much to say about this one, except that its very comforting to know that even the masters of the craft have off days and you should read this article as well.

Many thanks to Alan for the linkage.

1 comment:

none. said...

If you want good scifi that also (sometimes vaguely) deals w/sex, might I suggest The Playboy Book of Science Fiction edited by Alice K. Turner. We've got a copy of it somewhere.

-k.