Thursday, March 26, 2009

Burning update Experience IV: Son of Burning Update

Fear not, gentle readers. Today's Burning Zeppelin post is late, but not forgotten.

Clearly, a lot has been going on, so I'm going to do my best to give you an update before I go under again. Here is a quick list of what I'm working on:

FREELANCE MADNESS!

Remember how I crowed about the contract that sought me out rather than the other way around? Well, I have the last 8k of that assignment to write in just 5 days. It's going to be a wild ride. My situation is compounded by the fact that I just found out about a great teaching program (the Oakland Teaching Fellowships, if you care to know) whose application is due the day before my first draft. Fortunately, I have the Abigail, who helped me plan out the weekend, hour by bloody hour.

I'm beginning to understand what people like my boss at White Wolf meant when they warned us about taking on too much. I'll add to that advice: just because I don't have a day job doesn't mean I have unlimited time to write. Looking for work always takes up more time than I think it's going to - I think it has a way of worming itself into the time allocated to other tasks and duties, invading and corrupting it like a nanite plague - and the structure afforded by having a day job is, surprisingly, good for me.

There is good news on the horizon, however. If the Oakland Teaching Fellowship works out (or the Godiva thing, or the standing on street corners accosting passers-by to donate to charity), I might have a day job as early as next week. Freelancing will slow down on Tuesday when my first draft is due, which will be nice. There will still be final drafts due in another month, and I'm always looking forward to my next paid gig, but it will be nice to spend some time hacking away at my personal projects. I haven't done that since December.

The final piece of good news to come out of the Burning Zeppelin is that White Wolf finally announced the book that started it all, my very first freelance contract.

Have a look at the bottom of this page. The very bottom, in the October to December range.

Look closer.

Fine, here it is.

I can't reveal anything more, however, except that I worked on it, which is why you should all buy it and tell White Wolf how awesome it is, especially the part about...

I'll tell you later.

No comments: